"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Friday, February 19, 2016

Friday Five and Seven Quick Takes: Roadschool and Retreat



Julie posts at RevGals:

1. Lent practice – add in, or take out?

Always add in these days: 1) praying for enemies--a powerful and surprising joy, probably because I am being deeply honest with anger and lament and discerning options for loving confrontation wherever possible and 2) margin in my days, in particular aiming to be ten minutes early for everything so I won't be continually late--a mix of successes and failures but the former fill me with gratitude, peace, and motivation to keep trying, while the latter motivate prayers to be more humble and gentle with other sinners. So it's all good!

2. Alliteration: favourite tongue twister, or alliterative phrase.

New and wonderful title for a much cherished book in progress, revealed during a marvelous, it's been way too long, hot stone massage. Veronica's Veil: Stations of the Cross for Survivors of Sexual Violence.

3. Sticking with words – just because I love colouring too – your favourite onomatopoeic word illustrated (self drawn, or googled!)

Nothing is coming here so I am going to go with another new and wonderful title and focus, also revealed under the hands of the very strong, very gentle, holy young single dad, for a fellowship application I am working on. Dinah's Lament: Breaking the Chains of Ecclesial Rape Culture.

4. Your week – mad crazy – or did you find space, peace, calm or something else beautiful.

Space, peace, and calm galore! Valentine's celebration of rediscovering couple racquetball and discerning his coming to some of my therapy sessions to continue our healing followed by a marvelous mother-daughter roadschool trip to our old city in the state to the south. We almost finished up Pride and Prejudice in the car and have Wuthering Heights staged for the trip home. In between she is spending time with her BFF and I am seeing my friends and getting in some retreat time.

5. Photo – I am trying to post a picture a day – sometimes its words over a picture, sometimes just the picture, for my Lent practice – a photo that sums up your week, day, hour, moment…. Altar with statue and relics of St. Therese the Little Flower, for whom the retreat house is named. The pink case resting on the kneeler is my laptop which I carried around to key places in the chapel (Mary altar is at top of post) praying that it and my words would be consecrated to fruitful and loving ministry.



And two more takes to complete my seven:

6. As I was finishing my photographic prayer these sweet young lay missionaries came in to pray Compline (Night Prayer) so I joined them for treasures new--prayers and scriptures were read off their phones, with time for spontaneous intercession--and old--we chanted the Salve Regina by heart, taking me back to the chapel at Notre Dame and the times I prayed Vespers there with my wiggly firstborn nursing toddler!

7. Super excited about a large Catholic women's conference tomorrow, especially celebrating my Lenten Reconciliation (=Confession)--40 priests are coming! Advent was a scheduled appointment with a very gifted priest, which has its own beauty, but there is something so powerful about the communal support of standing in line with others and listening to lovely music which covers the conversations but allows you to see the tears, laughter, and intimate prayer of the encounters with lavish divine mercy. Today's noon mass was a first step as the priest spoke of God's joy in our return and mentioned not just the lost sheep and son but the usually forgotten lost coin found by Mother God--and it wasn't even the official reading. You can bet he got a great big thank you after!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your week.... sounds like it's been a true blessing

    ReplyDelete