"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Friday, March 18, 2016

Friday Five: Sources of Joy

Julie writes at RevGals:

On this, Friday before Holy Week – when our lives will get very busy (more busy…) what are the things which gladden your heart? Which give you strength and sustain you when the going gets tough? And, can you choose just five!?

Song: With Joy You Shall Draw Water

Discovered this joyful and gracefully inclusive version of the canticle from Isaiah 12 at Easter Vespers at the Church of Loretto (chapel at St. Mary's College, the women's school across from ND) and recently rediscovered. There's no "A" word though so it's a good alternative to the Benedictus (Zachariah's Canticle) when time is short for Lauds (Morning Prayer)--especially as till looking up this version I only remembered, and sang a few times, the Taize-like refrain.

Book: Just started a fun modern version of Northanger Abbey by mystery writer Val McDermid. I discovered it when I checked out a book and audio disc of the original for this term's homeschool literature class cause it's fun and relatively short. We started the term with Pride and Prejudice and are both relieved to have returned to Jane Austen and ditched the truly obnoxious Cathy and Heathcliff--validating my "once was plenty" approach versus "obsessively re-read" for Jane Eyre. The audio disc of Wuthering Heights which we tried out for a while used clever marketing in reminding people that it was Bella's favorite book in Twilight, and I was impressed with the doubly clever use/echo of the work in the gobble-worthy current partner Netflix,Vampire Diaries, of having the good vampire own an original copy by "Ellis Bell"!

Film: Bride and Prejudice, a marvelous modern India take on P and P which Nick enjoyed as a young adolescent without having even read the book. I am looking forward to watching it, along with the classic Colin Firth version, to practice compare-and-contrast and deepen our analysis of the work as we prepare for the oral exam I will give the maiden at term's end.

Poetry: Still enjoying Shakespeare for my personal listening pleasure while driving, inspired by the seven we listened to for fall literature course. Just finished off Cymbeline, which is a fun romp, and also has the moving "Fear No More the Heat of the Sun." Love the rich timbre of the mezzo performing this version--slightly gender bending since the original is sung by the princes in exile to the unknown sister they think is dead. Kind of a Holy Week foretaste, I guess.

Person: Since I'm seeing a homeschool theme emerge I think I will go with my dear daughter Katie--a tremendous joy since her arrival as #3 of my 4 gave me the privilege of raising a girl after losing Rachel, #1, way too young. I am really enjoying her company, and seeing her grow into a unique and fascinating young adult, as she learns from home while we both work from home. She's recently started requesting non-fiction reading trips to the library--yesterday's discovery was a down to earth ethics history/intro called Would You Kill the Fat Man? since it's main example is the classic trolley crash dilemma. And her present tofu kick for her weekly Friday night cooking assignment has led to some things which I appreciate for the earth/justice friendliness and Lenten appropriateness) and even her skeptical dad agrees are very tasty.

For more Friday Fives visit RevGals!

No comments:

Post a Comment