"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Sunday, September 4, 2016

Sunday Style: Open My Eyes, Lord

New to me offertory song by Jesse Manibusan today which was a lovely meditation in preparation for my first confession in with a favorite Jesuit in decades later this week on the campus of my alma mater. [Edited for clarity as it's just the first with him in the thirty years since I graduated--I love and need that healing sacrament and went both early in Lent and during the novena of Pentecost!] It's even better with alternating Spanish verses but I couldn't find that on youtube.

Tank Sundress: Meijer, last summer, Empire style and decidedly not maternity!
T-shirt underneath: Goodwill, yesterday, after an awesome catch up lunch with a grad school friend now in this area
Shoes: New Balance super sturdy walking shoes, replaced recently
Jewelry: Guadalupe medal from our pilgrimage last summer on my Grandma Pat's gold chain; large gold hoops with pearls a long ago present from Mom; small gold hoops in upper piercings a hand me down from her, also yesterday, when she also gave Katie a cool little silver rhinestone set and crescent moons for her upper cartilage piercing before the Europe roadschool trip (I gave up on my matching mini crosses, sadly, when one got gunky on the road).

The moving chaos is starting to die down so it feels good to get back to the blog with my first What I Wore Sunday post! It's been two and a half weeks since the movers arrived to pack a day after my last post and they have finally promised a solid delivery date of this Wednesday. ComputerGuy, homeschool maiden and I have been pilgrims with a carry on backpack each and one checked suitcase for shoes, night splints, and vitamins as we balanced accessibility and affordability by frequent moves. We stayed 1) with his parents in Michigan for two nights 2) in a San Jose hotel after our flight for one night 3) with my parents in Ventura (a five-six hour drive south) for four nights 3) in a Pismo Beach hotel (halfway up) for one night 4)in an extended stay hotel in downtown San Jose with kitchenette for two nights 5) in a cheaper motel, also near downtown, with a little fridge and microwave for two more nights 6)back at my parents' for three nights, plus tonight and finally we will spend 7)two more nights at a different extended stay much closer to our empty apartment in southeast San Jose and his IBM campus in the country even farther south.

I discovered a new Catholic church closer to my parents than my usual Mission, and it turns out my mom would always drive my Grandma Dorothy there for mass when she visited. They have been ethical and supremely loving atheists for a long time, prompting one of my kids to say as a preschooler: "They are going to have a weally happy supwise when they get to heaven." I went to a lovely First Friday mass followed by adoration and rosary there, but forgot the announcement of the fiftieth anniversary celebration this weekend. So I could hardly find a parking spot for what I thought would be the start of the normal noon Spanish mass and turned out be halftime=offertory of a joyous and elaborate bilingual mass with two bishops: Jose Gomez, the first Latino Archbishop of LA, and Robert Barron, whom I had not known was the auxiliary for the Santa Barbara region. Rather than sit in the overflow chairs outside I joined some other latecomers alternately standing and kneeling in front of the confessionals and behind the last pew in a side section and looking over the shoulder of a woman in front of me to see hymn words in the thankfully large program.

On the way home I swung by the grocery store on the way home to get provisions for the equally Eucharistic Sunday night dinner my parents host for my Great-Grandpa and my uncle/godfather when he's available (sadly, not today, so I won't see how he's doing in person after his leg amputation). After some serious study in homeschool this year and turning thirteen Katie has been released from regular church attendance in honor of her present spiritual but not religious, "not self-sacrificial enough to be Christian beliefs" but she is wearing her comfy classy new dress anyway, topped by the new color from our last hair date in Michigan when I got my gold retouched, as she bakes the brownies for dessert. Mom is grilling hamburgers and I just took out a large pan of roasted sweet potatoes and peppers I was counting on Uncle R. to help me eat and take home. They will go into a cheap tupperware instead and become my easy to eat veggies in the last hotel room cause they are just as good cold. For more church fashion and commentary visit Rosie for "My Sunday Best" at Blog For My Mom!

1 comment:

  1. I love how gloriously comfortable empire waist dresses are, even when they're not maternity! The color is great on you :) Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete