"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sunday Style: Wolf Taming

Blouse and skirt: thrifted in Ohio.
Jacket: thrifted here in San Jose.
Earrings: thrifted in Michigan.
Butterfly necklace: Mervyn's, or maybe Target, in Portland when Katie was a baby and I was dissertating.
Scarf/veil: mom and pop (or maybe just pop) shop, East San Jose.

The picture is the first on the front porch of our beautiful, peaceful, tiny apartment now that we are back home in Paradise. For more Sunday style links visit Rosie!

Tried to go to the Black Baptist church downtown I like, since I played guitar and sang for the Portuguese-English bilingual mass at my parish last night. The young Carmelite friar who was subbing was marvelous, especially getting to know him afterwards via conversation, healing prayer for my wrist which has been acting up, and a short, sweet, and powerful Confession before Our Lady of Mt. Carmel. I was kneeling on her altar steps to center myself while he divested and was tremendously moved when he came out, hit his knees beside me, and stayed that way throughout until asking, with marvelous respect and boundaries: "With your permission, I am going to stand and lay my hands on your head for the absolution." Yes, please! And you bet I gave him props after!

I will have to try next week for the Black church, since I left late because of an important ministry phone call and then hit a bunch of roadblocks downtown for some kind of bike-a-thon. So I ended up heading over to the wonderful East Side Latina parish where Cesar Chavez and Dolores Huerta founded the UFW for a packed and lively celebration followed by pozole and a taco de pollo as well as buying a couple different devotional booklets to combine prayer and Spanish improvement. A favorite is the snappy "Detente enemigo! El Corazon de Jesus esta conmigo!" ("Begone, enemy! The Heart of Jesus is with me!")

Didn't bring a camera or even my phone so I will have to post photos another time of the stunning art of NS de Guadualupe, St. Clare, and the coolest St. Francis ever--he is petting the tamed wolf of Gubbio who looks up at him with gentle delight! I was so moved when a father brought up his step and stairs children--the older two reached up to touch the wolf and Francis themselves and he held up the toddler so she could too. I did the same praying to be like him in loving service to the poor and the church--I love that he stayed a deacon, while Clare as an abbess had similar authority to a bishop--and for a strong and loving presence to help "tame" the wolves I am called to, my brothers caught in the enemy's traps of toxic masculinity and rape culture.

I hadn't brought a veil, which I wear when the Spirit moves, so She whispered to drop into a tiny little shop run by a friendly old Asian gentleman. I found this gorgeous scarf, and one just like it in lilac, as well as a nice hanger for my growing collection--all at bargain prices. There were more colors in this stunning sheer gold-adorned design but I am resisting for now! After mass I spent some time in prayer and touched the new veil in consecration to the images of Francis, Clare, and the stunning gold-rose-surrounded Guadalupe.

1 comment:

  1. What a fun scarf, and a great story behind how you found it! I'd love to see photos of the art you're referring to - do post some next time!

    ReplyDelete