"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Black Lives Are Sacred Day 9: Black Lives Matter T-Shirt on Fridays

Preposting through the weekend as I am going on retreat starting tomorrow. This is in the spirit of Sunday Style/what I wore though it was actually to the special Portuguese mass at my parish I sang at a week ago Thursday for Santo Antonio de Lisboa (the Portuguese are very proud of his origin and never call him "of Padua" for where he moved!) I had just received the T-shirt I ordered from a great-service, Black-owned small business (He means it when saying it runs small--I needed to exchange for the x-large). It's a v-neck, which I love--as I do the new thrifted skirt--but I modested it up for music ministry with a short sleeved black turtleneck and tights underneath. I especially love the silhouette of a woman's head as the background for the words because as in every other situation women suffer the most of their group and misogynoir is so hideously deadly--and so contributed to by white feminism when we are engaging our supremacy and privilege instead of conversion.

I was moved to adopt the practice by seeing a Facebook-linked post put up by the SF Bay area chapter of Showing Up for Racial Justice. And I am excited to see that 1000 public school teachers in Seattle will support their Black students by wearing a t-shirt and teaching age-appropriate lessons on Wed. Oct. 19. It has been a true grace for me and I invite you to consider it too--especially if you are Catholic with our Friday practice of loving penance which is now freely chosen for each person and family. And it came at just the right time having experienced enough rounds of self-deceptive arrogance about being a "good white person/ally" to, please God, wear it with peaceful humility and openness to profoundly respectful conversations, part of the goal of the practice, should anyone comment on it. I will be wearing it tomorrow as I fly to a Franciscan run retreat house at a California mission reflecting on that charism of joyful repentance and transformation of life with the intercession of my long loved matrons and patrons in the order--Clare, Anthony, and Bonaventure--and this week's grace-discovered new ones--Francis himself and Sr. Thea Bowman).

No comments:

Post a Comment