"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Friday, October 28, 2016

Black Lives Matter Day 28: Anthem Heroines, Anthem Villains

Last week at the Sixers-Heat game Denasia Lawrence became the first vocalist to sing the entire National Anthem kneeling and wearing a Black Lives Matter t-shirt.

"We're being unjustly killed and overly criminalized," Lawrence wrote. "I took the opportunity to sing and kneel to show that we belong in this country and that we have the right to respectfully protest injustices against us."

Lawrence followed Leah Tysse, who took a knee during the final lines at a Sacramento Kings game, and inspired Sevyn Streeter to attempt to wear a We Matter t-shirt to sing at the Sixers-Thunder game on Oct. 26.

“I’d say two minutes before we were about to walk out...the organization told me that I could not wear my shirt while singing the national anthem at their game. I was never given any kind of dress code. I was never asked beforehand to show my wardrobe,” Streeter told The Associated Press.

She went on to explain why she choose to wear the jersey for her performance. “I also felt it was important to express the ongoing challenges and ongoing injustice we face as a Black community within the United States of America—that’s very important to me. Yes, we live in the greatest country in the world, but there are issues that we cannot ignore. This can’t be ignored.”

The team leadership couldn't have taken a clearer stance of racist hatred telling Black citizens not just that their lives don't matter but that they will be viciously punished if they have the temerity to claim that they do. And they followed this up by the shameless, Pontius Pilate lie that they are the ones taking a stand for justice.

“The Philadelphia 76ers organization encourages meaningful actions to drive social change. We use our games to bring people together, to build trust and to strengthen our communities. As we move from symbolic gestures to action, we will continue to leverage our platform to positively impact our community.”

No comments:

Post a Comment