"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Monday, November 7, 2016

Hymn: Blessed Sophia

This hymn of freedom and healing is especially resonant for me because I learned the original version by the amazing Fanny Crosby's during the ecumenical services I helped lead, with my BFF/chosen sister and my abusive pastor/professor, in my college chapel.

Blessed Sophia, Mother of all,
Give us the courage to answer your call:
Loving your people, tending your earth,
Claiming your healing in death and rebirth.

This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long.

Living in Jesus, our brother and friend,
Fighting injustice and true to the end;
Born of a woman, slain on a tree,
Risen in power to set us all free.

This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long.

Bright tongues of fire, fierce holy dove,
Fragrance of sweetness, anointing of love;
Vessel of mercy, hearing our cries,
And sending your prophets to open our eyes.

This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long.

Sing praise to Sophia, our great One in Three,
Our Lover, Beloved, and Love’s Unity;
Sing praise to the Mother and praise to the Son,
And praise to the Spirit, who makes us all one.

This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long;
This is my story, this is my song, praising Sophia all the day long.

Text: Laura Marie Grimes, copyright 2012
Tune: Assurance 9 10 9 9 with refrain (Blessed Assurance, Jesus is Mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment