"I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Son, let this woman be a bride to you in the restoration of my people. Let her be a mother for these people, regenerating souls through the salvation of spirit and water.'" (Hildegard of Bingen, Scivias)

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

This Joyful Season Day 8: Litany of Loreto



Don't remember where I went to mass Wednesday but time is short anyway, so I will post a favorite Youtube discovery: the loveliest and most womanpower celebrating version of the Litany of Mary I have ever heard, with visuals of Westminster Cathedral from the day of prayer where it was sung. We missed it on our flying visit through London in last spring's roadschool trip and final family vacation, but I attended a stunning midnight mass there with three high school friends as the advance guard of our high school Christmas break trip.



I vetoed the strongest Anglophile/future English PhD's preference for Westminster Abbey, which would have been even more crowded anyway. We felt incredibly grown up going over early on our own and had to take advantage of the looser laws and lack of supervision by seeing the classy and beautiful Lady Chatterley's Lover, getting a drink at the Hard Rock cafe back when it was the only one, and--less enjoyably--smoking a cigarette and drinking a glass of sherry while listening to jazz on the hotel room radio.



Katie and I often sing along to it in the car since it has lyrics for her and I can usually do pretty well from memory once I hear the start of the invocation--I remember most of them but not the order. It often makes me smile to remember the "litany wars" at the Chiesa Nuova, Philip Neri's majestic church, where I would often attend mass during a bus transfer break during my first summer month of Latin study there with the legendary Reginaldus Foster. If the sweet young German priest led the post-liturgy devotion he always did the Litany of the Sacred Heart from an Italian prayerbook but if one of the old Italian ladies did it was always this litany, in Latin, by heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment